Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Ain't That a Kick in the Pants?

It's been 3 weeks since I got my indoor bike trainer, and I've ridden it a total of once.

I've had what seemed like good reasons- was in a super minor car accident, but since I had my foot on the brake, knee was jammed & sore. Then my dad was in Seattle for back surgery. And then I've been feeling too tired/busy/fat/lazy and it just hasn't happened.

But last night I met my friend at a "Beginning Cycling for Women" class at REI. I signed up thinking it would be a good way to get motivated and kick myself in the butt. But I don't think it was what I needed... it was the hug from my friend, and our tentative plans to ride this weekend.

So this is my lesson (for myself) for today. Buying a new bike is not enough. Signing up for a 5k next month that I have done no training for, or two Sprint Tris, or even the MS 150 which I officially signed up for today, none of that is enough.

What you really need is a friend, someone who will hold you accountable. I may be flexible, but it's much easier for someone else to kick me in the butt, than for me to do it myself.

So be it signing up for group rides for an event like Cycle the WAVE (which I can't do because it's the same weekend as the Trek Tri) or group training with the Luna Chix, or with an awesome trainer like Coach Beth at Running Evolution, you've got to make a date.

So, I'm doing some looking into training again. Not sure if I'll do a group or 1:1. But I know I'll be making a lot of dates. Because they may be with other people, but it's always for me.

Ain't that a kick in the head? Evidently it's the one that I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment