Saturday, June 13, 2009

Courage and the Casual Athlete

I know, it's hard to think of a triathlon as "casual" but I'm not a pro, or even a competitive athlete.

So during Wednesday's group workout, I started to think about the courage it takes to do something like this. I hear from my friends that they are proud or impressed. When I sign up for something like this or the three day, it doesn't usually occur to me that this is a big deal until I'm already pretty committed.

Wed we were at Redmond High, a track workout, and there were some kids taking graduation pics on the field while we (ok I) huffed and puffed around. So many of the ladies on my team seem like they have SOME type of athletic background.

That would not be me. I was the kid who would rather read a book than play outside (still am) and the only time I was involved in sports was as a basketball player in 7th & 8th grade. So I'm trying to set my son up in a different way. I don't over program his life, but he's almost always got SOME physical activity scheduled. I want it to be the norm for him.

For people who start athletic, it doesn't take the same type of resolve to keep going. My son is small, one of the youngest in his grade, and has my klutz gene. For him, the courage will come when he doesn't do well, or if other kids give him the hard time.

For me, it's sticking with it. I was REALLY self concious Wed, and again on our Bike/Run brick today. I've never really liked for people to look at me. I kept feeling like people are thinking "Why is that fat chick on a bike?" or "Is that fat chick trying to run?" I like to wear my "Trek" training shirt so that people can see I have a purpose, but I tend to feel not good
enough to be out there.

That's when I decided that what I'm doing now takes more than just some stubborn. It takes a decent amount of courage. It's not that hard to resolve to start. It's not even that hard to get going. I'm always so excited to start something new, full of promise and energy.

The hard part is to keep going. There are days I don't want to train. But the only person I'm cheating is the me that's going to be dragging my butt over the finish line. But when your legs are sore and your knees are weak, there is courage in picking a spot on the track and saying, "I will run to there," then getting to that spot and saying, "you know what- I can keep going to there." There is no shame in walking, but there IS shame in never trying to push your limits.

2 comments:

  1. I remain impressed and inspired.

    Signed,
    Non-athletic friend who also preferred reading and socializing to organized sports because I sucked at them

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go. :) I like this post. Beginning is easy. Enduring is always the tougher bit.

    ReplyDelete